Friday, April 8, 2016

I apologize for the fact that lab work is very repetitive. But at least it makes you appreciate the little things, like using different strains of bacteria for the same procedure.

Lactobacillus is an interesting little bacterium. People use it commercially for quite a few things- digestive supplements, yogurt, and even a type of beer called "sour beer" which uses my bacteria, Lactobacillus delbrueckii, during the fermentation process.

My plates..and they all pretty much look the same.
 Although my Lactobacillus seemed to be hurt badly by liquid dish soap concentrations, the biofilm tests showed that there was virtually no effect of the dish detergents on biofilms of Lactobacillus. There may have been some tiny reduction, like 10%, but really not significant enough to be concerning. There could have been experimental error involving possible soap in the test tubes or a detergent stock that had less detergent than desired, but this is certainly good news for your gut. Feel free to take your probiotics, drink your sour beer(if you are at least 21, of course) and wash your dishes. The interesting thing is that you can only tell that there has been next to no reduction when you change the graph axis units to a logarithmic scale. On a normal scale, even this puny reduction showed a HUGE difference between bar sizes. And this goes to show the nature of bacteria. There are so freaking many of them in one particular area at one particular time, even killing 100 colonies isn't a big deal, because you have 800000000 more.

My plates!.. which pretty much look the same.

Plating the detergents showed that the Lactobacillus grew quite well in the detergent solutions, once again showing that the detergents wash away the colonies instead of killing them.

Detergent plates



 
For the last couple weeks of my project, I will probably re-do my e.coli biofilm test just to make sure I have good data. And if I still have time after that, I may investigate the effects of other common cleaning products that contain SDS, such as toothpaste or possibly use different kinds of plates. We'll see as my adventures continue.

Прощай!(Goodbye!)

Mackenzie





5 comments:

  1. I'm still curious about my question that I posted last week... Also, it is good to see more of your results. I hope to learn more about what they mean at your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry man! I didn't even see your question from last week. A central point of this experiment was to prove or disprove some guy's hypothesis that our dishwashing detergents and cleaning products for making us sick by decreasing our immunity. Since not enough is known yet about gut flora and the immune system, it would be hard to say weather my results truly prove or disprove this hypothesis. However, since the small quantities of dish detergent hardly had any effect on the bacteria, it is very unlikely that using less dish soap would actually help prevent against disease. As for preventing against disease, I would just recommend being careful around people who are sick, washing your hands, and not using hand sanitizer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, are you saying that probiotics really are not that useful?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, are you saying that probiotics really are not that useful?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No. I don't really have experience with other probiotics. It's just that this particular type of probiotic might get swept away if you ingest too much dish soap.

    ReplyDelete